Disagreeing With Your Assessed Fair Market Value

If a taxpayer does not agree with the fair market value assigned to the property by the County Assessor, the law provides a way for the taxpayer to appeal the value.
  1. The valuation is considered protested when a taxpayer files a statement with the County Assessor specifying the reasons why the assessment is incorrect. This statement must be filed within 30 days of the date postmarked on the assessment schedule (mailed in April).
  2. Once the valuation is protested, the County Commissioners, as the County Board of Equalization, meet with the Assessor and the taxpayer to resolve the protest.
  3. If either the Assessor or taxpayer is not satisfied with the County Board of Equalization's decision, it may be protested to the State Board of Equalization.