Temporary Workers

Temporary Worker Permits

There have been a lot of question about working in the State of Wyoming and having to purchase registrations or a temporary workers permit. The following is from the Wyoming Statute, Title 31.
  • 31-2-201. Registration required; timelines.
    • (a) Except as provided in W.S. 31-2-224, every owner, or if applicable, operator or lessee, of a vehicle which will be operated or driven upon any highway in Wyoming, shall be required to obtain registration at the following times:
      • (iii) Upon becoming a resident in the case of a previous nonresident owner
      • (iv) Notwithstanding paragraph (iii) of this subsection, immediately when the vehicle is being operated by a person not from this state for transportation to or from, or for the purpose of gainful employment or any trade, profession or occupation within this state.
Worker (JPG)
Any nonresident owner, lessee or operator of a vehicle that is not a commercial vehicle, who is employed in this state on a temporary or full-time basis may choose to purchase a temporary worker registration permit from the county treasurer in lieu of registering the vehicle pursuant to paragraph (a)(iv) of this section and paying the fees pursuant to W.S. 31-3-101, provided the vehicle displays a valid registration and license plate from another jurisdiction and is properly insured. Application for the temporary worker registration permit shall be made to the county treasurer in the manner and form prescribed by the department and shall be submitted with proof of valid insurance. The temporary worker registration permit shall bear a distinctive number assigned to the vehicle, an expiration date and at all times be prominently displayed and clearly visible on the vehicle in a manner prescribed by the department. Fees collected under this subsection shall be deposited in the county general fund. The fee for a temporary worker registration permit shall be fifty dollars ($50.00) per each month of required registration, and shall not exceed one hundred twenty (120) days per vehicle.

Reciprocity With Another State

Exemption: Wyoming has reciprocity agreements with the states of Idaho, Illinois, Nebraska, and New Mexico. Residents of these states are not required to register their vehicle in Wyoming unless they become a resident of the state (remaining for 120 days or more), at which point they must purchase Wyoming license plates.